Scriptural Verses D (primary audio CD)

SanskAI

Administrator
Staff member
Scriptural Verses D (primary version)
The following is a transcript of the verses on the Audio CD (Track 40) along with the accompanying narrative. There may be slight differences from the spoken version.
Krishna, before the great battle, speaks to his friend, Prince Arjuna. He tells him about the real self, the atman. We will hear the first verse spoken in Sanskrit and English.
na tv evaham jatu nasam
na tvam neme janadhipaha
na chaiva na bhavishyamah
sarve vayam atah param
I have always existed, and so have you, Arjuna; and so have all these kings and soldiers. In the future, none of us will stop existing, because the soul never dies.
– Bhagavad Gita 2. 12
Krishna then explains reincarnation:
We all experience a child’s body, then a young person’s body and then we live in an old body. The same person who feels all these things, goes into another body at death.
– Bhagavad Gita 2. 13
When clothes are old, we throw them away and puts on new ones. In the same way, the soul gives up the old and useless body and puts on a new one.
– Bhagavad Gita 2. 22
As soon as we are born, we are bound to die. And when we die, we are born again. Therefore, we should not be too upset, thinking that a person has died. Only the body dies, but the real person, the soul, lives forever.
– Bhagavad Gita 2.27
Krishna has explained how the eternal soul passes from one body to another. This is called reincarnation. He now speaks about stopping this process. Getting free from reincarnation is called liberation:
People who really know me do not take another body at death. Instead of being born again, they come to me in the kingdom of God.
– Bhagavad Gita 4.9
These pure souls do not have thoughts like “this is my friend, and that my enemy”. Rather, they are kind to all living creatures and work to help everyone They have given up selfish and harmful habits. Always thinking of me, they become liberated (from the cycle of birth and death).
– Bhagavad Gita 5. 25