Staff member
Selected Songs/Bhajans
Download word document: Songs
There are four songs listed here, as follows:
  1. The Arti Song (“Jay Jagadish Hare”)
  2. A Popular Hindi Bhajan – “Krishna Jinka Nama Hai”
  3. A Bengali bhajan – “Bhaja Hure Mana”
  4. A song in praise of Krishn2, the Butter Thief
Numbers 1 and 3 feature of the Audio-CD, the tracks numbered 22 and 36 respectively.
The Arti Song (SNG-01)
Om jay jagdish hare, swami jay jagdish hare; (swami)
Bhakt janan ke sankat, kshan men dur kare; (Om jay)
Jo dhyave phal pave, dukh vinshe man ka (swami dukh)
Sukh sampati ghar ave, kasht mite tan ka (Om jay)
Mat pita tum mere, sharan gahun kiski; (Swami sharan)
Tum bin our na duja, as karun jiski;(Om jay)
Tum puran paramatma, tum antaryami; (Swami tum)
Par brahma parameshwer, tum sab ke swami; (Om jay)
Tum karuna ke sagar, tum palan karta; (Swanu tum)
Mein murakh khal kami, kripa karpa karo bharta; (Om jay)
Tum ho ek agochar, sab ke pran pati; (Swami sab)
Kis vidhi milun dayamay,tum ko mein kumati ; (Om jay)
Din band dukh hart, tum Raksha mere; (Om jay)
Vaishya vicar mite, pap hero diva; (Swami pap)
Shraddha bhakti bathe, santana ki diva; (Om jay)
Translation
Hail to you, O Lord of the universe, remover of sorrow and master of all. Salutations and obeisances unto you. O instant remover of the troubles of the devotees, your lordship rewards those who sing your glories by mitigating their sorrows. With your name, happiness and prosperity dawn and pain disappears. O Lord, you are my mother, father and my sole refuge. O you who live in the hearts of all beings, you are perfect, absolute, omnipresent, omnipotent and omniscient. O Ocean of Compassion, you are the protector of all. O merciful master, kindly help me, who am ignorant and full of worldly desire. O life of all that lives, you are only one and remain invisible. O merciful God, guide ignorant beings to your divine knowledge. You are the support of the weak, the remover of sorrow and pain. O my protector! Bless me with your compassionate hand. I surrender to you. Relieve me of passion and suffering, sand bless me with ever-increasing faith, divine love and a spirit of selfless service.
“Krishna Jinka Nama Hai” (SNG-02)
A Traditional Hindi Song
Verse 1
krishna jinka nama hai
gokula jinka dhama hai
aise sri bhagavan ko (mere)
barambar pranam hai
Verse 2
yashoda jinki maya hai
nandaji bapaya hai
aise shri gopala ko (mere)
barambar pranam hai
Verse 3
radha jinaki jaya hai
adbhuta jinaki maya hai
aise shri ghana-syama ko (mere)
barambar pranam hai
Verse 4
luta luta dadhi makhana khayo
gvala-bala sanga dhenu charayo
aise lila dhama ko (mere)
barambar pranam hyaya
Verse 5
drupada-suta ko laja bachayo
graha se gaja ko phanda chudayo
aise kripa-dhama ko (mere)
barambara pranam hai
Verse 6
kuru-pandava ko yuddha machayo
arjuna ko upadesha sunayo
aise dina-natha ko (mere)
barambara pranamm hai
Translation
I offer my obeisances repeatedly to that Supreme Lord, whose name is Krishna and who lives in Gokula, the land of many cows.
Yashoda is his mother and Nanda his father. I offer my obeisances again and again to that Supreme Lord, who is called Gopal, the protector of the cows.
Radha is his eternal consort. His illusory material energy is awe-inspiring. I offer my repeated obeisances to that Supreme Lord, whose complexion resembles the hue of the dark monsoon cloud.
Krishna sneaks out to steal yoghurt and butter, which he loves to eat. Throughout the day, he tends the cows with his cowherd boyfriends. Repeatedly I offer obeisances to the Supreme Lord, the reservoir of divine pastimes.
Krishna protected the honour of Draupadi, and delivered the elephant Gajendra from the jaws of an alligator. To that Supreme Lord, the abode of all compassion, I offer my repeated obeisances.
That same Lord orchestrated the conflict between the Pandavas and the Kurus, and on the battlefield delivered divine instruction to Arjuna. To Shri Krishna, the shelter of the fallen and helpless, I offer my repeated obeisances.
“Bhaja Hure Mana” (SNG-03)
A Traditional Bengali song
(a supplication to the mind)
Verse 1
bhajahu re mana shri-nanda-nandana
abhaya-caranaravinda re
durlabha manava-janama sat-sange
taroho e bhava-sindhu re
Verse 2
shita atapa bata barishana
e dina jamini jagi re
biphale sevinu kripana durajana
chapala sukha-laba lagi’ re
Verse 3
e dhana, yaubana, putra, parijana
ithe ki ache paratiti re
kamala-dala-jala, jivana talamala
bhajahu hari-pada niti re
Verse 4shravana, kirtana, smarana, vandana,
pada-sevana, dasya re
pujana, sakhi-jana, atma-nivedana
govinda-dasa-abhilasha re
(1) O mind, become fearless by worshipping the lotus feet of the son of Nanda (Krishna). Having obtained this rare human birth, keep company with saintly people and thus
traverse the ocean of worldly existence.
(2) My dear brother, I request you to just worship Chaitanya and Nityananda with firm faith and conviction. If one wants to be Krishna conscious by this process, one has to give up his engagement in flickering sense gratification. One simply has to chant, “Hare Krishna! Hari Hari!” without any selfish motive.
(3) What assurance of real happiness is there in all of one’s wealth, youthfulness, children and family members? This life is tottering like a drop of water on the lotus petal; therefore, you should always serve and worship the divine feet of Lord Hari (Krishna).
(4) It is the desire and great longing of Govinda Dasa to engage in the nine processes of bhakti, namely: hearing the glories of Lord Krishna; chanting those glories; constantly remembering him; offering prayers; serving the Lord’s lotus feet; serving the Supreme Lord as a servant; worshiping him with flowers and incense and so forth (puja); serving him as a friend; and completely offering one’s very self to the Lord.
Eight Prayers Sung in Praise of Shri Damodara (SNG-04)
(Krishna, the Butter Thief)
(1) To the Supreme Lord, whose form is the embodiment of eternal existence, knowledge, and bliss, whose shark-shaped earrings are swinging to and fro, who is beautifully shining in the divine realm of Gokula, who [due to the offence of breaking the pot of yoghurt that His mother was churning into butter and then stealing the butter that was kept hanging from a swing] is quickly running from the wooden grinding mortar in fear of mother Yashoda, but who has been caught from behind by her who ran after Him with greater speed—to that Supreme Lord, Shri Damodara, I offer my humble obeisances.
(2) [Seeing the whipping stick in His mother’s hand,] He is crying and rubbing His eyes again and again with His two lotus hands. His eyes are filled with fear, and the necklace of pearls around His neck, which is marked with three lines like a conchshell, is shaking because of His quick breathing due to crying. To this Supreme Lord, Shri Damodara, whose belly is bound not with ropes but with His mother’s pure love, I offer my humble obeisances.
(3) By such childhood pastimes as this He is drowning the inhabitants of Gokula in pools of ecstasy, and is revealing to those devotees who are absorbed in knowledge of His supreme majesty and opulence that He is only conquered by devotees whose pure love is imbued with intimacy and is free from all conceptions of awe and reverence. With great love I again offer my obeisances to Lord Damodara hundreds and hundreds of times.
(4) 0 Lord, although You are able to give all kinds of benedictions, I do not pray to You for the boon of impersonal liberation, nor the highest liberation of eternal life in Vaikuntha, nor any other boon [which may be obtained by executing the nine processes of bhakti]. O Lord, I simply wish that this form of Yours as baby Gopala in Vrindavana may ever be manifest in my heart, for what is the use to me of any other boon besides this?
(5) 0 Lord, Your lotus face, which is encircled by locks of soft black hair tinged with red, is kissed again and again by mother Yashoda, and Your lips are reddish like the bimba fruit. May this beautiful vision of Your lotus face be ever manifest in my heart. Thousands and thousands of other benedictions are of no use to me.
(6) 0 Supreme Godhead, I offer my obeisances unto You. O Damodara! O Ananta! O Vishnu! O master! O my Lord, be pleased upon me. By showering Your glance of mercy upon me, deliver this poor ignorant fool who is immersed in an ocean of worldly sorrows, and become visible to my eyes.
(7) 0 Lord Damodara, just as the two sons of Kuvera—Manigriva and Nalakuvara—were delivered from the curse of Narada and made into great devotees by You in Your form as a baby tied with rope to a wooden grinding mortar, in the same way, please give to me Your own prema-bhakti. I only long for this and have no desire for any kind of liberation.
(8) 0 Lord Damodara, I first of all offer my obeisances to the brilliantly effulgent rope which binds Your belly. I then offer my obeisances to Your belly, which is the abode of the entire universe. I humbly bow down to Your most beloved Shrimate Radharani, and I offer all obeisances to You, the Supreme Lord, who displays unlimited pastimes.