The Foolish Tortoise

SanskAI

Administrator
Staff member
1608878043810.png
"The person who does not heed his wellwishers and friends, owing to his foolishness, meets the same destruction as the stupid tortoise who fell from the stick and died." In a lake there lived a tortoise named Kambugreeva.

Two swans, named Sankat and Vikat were his very close friends. Everyday the three would sit by the lake and talk about various devarshi, maharshi and so on, and when the sun set they would return to their homes.

After some days, because of lack of rain, the lake slowly started to dry up. The tortoise was very sad and worried.

Seeing him the swans said "Friend! This lake has dried up. Now only swampy 1608878090768.pngmud remains. Without water how shall we live? This thought is worrying us." On hearing the swans, the tortoise said - "Now, due to the lack of water, my survival is not possible. Yet, you two should think about saving me. It is said that" – "In bad times, one should not abandon patience.

It is quite possible that with patience one can be delivered from the calamity. When the boat breaks in the middle of the sea, its owner does not leave patience and hope. On the contrary, he thinks of ways to reach the shore."

"In addition, Manu has said" – "During bad times an intelligent man should make efforts to save his kith and kin from the calamity. Through sincere efforts, it is possible to keep away trouble."

"You can get a strong rope or a small piece of stick. Search another lake that has plenty of water. I will hold the 1608878152019.pngmiddle of rope or stick with my teeth, and you can hold the two ends and fly, taking me to the other lake."

The swans heard what Kambugreeva had to say. They said, "Friend we will do as you have said. But, in this situation you will have to be silent. If you are not silent you will fall from the stick."

After making the necessary arrangements, the swans were flying and Kambugreeva could see the town below. The people in the town were astonished and were shouting, "see! see! the birds are taking a circular thing and flying."

On hearing the people's din below, Kambugreeva said, "Friends! what is this noise ?" Even before he could complete that, he fell from the sky and the people cut him to pieces